EDUCATE YOUR PATIENTS MORE EFFICIENTLY BY DIGITIZING CARE PATHWAYS, COLLECT PATIENT REPORTED OUTCOMES AND IMPROVE SURGERY EXPERIENCES
Fractures, acute appendicitis and hernias are the most common surgeries on children. Less common operations are surgery for congenital craniofacial, cerebral, cardiovascular, gastrointestinal and urogenital anomalies, organ transplants, spine and limb deformities, and tumors. Some pediatric surgeries such as hernia surgeries and endoscopic procedures are performed on day surgery basis. Pediatric surgery comprises about 500 different surgical procedures.
Information to parents is essential part of care
One of the most important in pediatric surgeries is to inform parents about the care process and surgery, what possible risks are, and how parents should prepare their children for surgery. In addition, reducing the fear of the child is very important. Reducing fear can be done with storytelling, animations and videos, and telling about other patient’s experiences.
Important tasks in pediatric surgery process for parents and for the child
- Understanding indication and surgery information and risks
- Relieving the fear and stress of a child through storytelling, animations etc.
- Informing parents about a surgery day schedule
- Informing parents about a proper medication use
- Providing parents frequently asked questions and contact details
- Healing process information
- Following the recovery through pain diary