Automate your pediatric surgery clinic's care coordination
Fractures, acute appendicitis, and hernias are the most common surgeries for children. Less common operations are surgery for congenital craniofacial, cerebral, cardiovascular, gastrointestinal and urogenital anomalies, organ transplants, spine and limb deformities, and tumors. Some pediatric surgeries such as hernia surgeries and endoscopic procedures are performed on a day surgery basis. Pediatric surgery comprises about 500 different surgical procedures.
Informing the parents is an essential part of the care
One of the most important aspects of pediatric surgeries is to inform the parents about the care process and surgery, what possible risks there are (or they might face), and how the parents should prepare their child for surgery. Also, reducing the fear of the child is very important. Overcoming fear can be done with storytelling, animations, and videos, and telling about other patients' experiences.
Educate, monitor and interact with parents during the entire perioperative process
- Educating and instructing pre-operatively (pre-op checklists, fasting or medication information, etc.)
- Relieving the fear and stress of a child through storytelling, videos, animations, etc.
- Collecting in-app questionnaires such as pre-op assessment
- Informing parents about important appointments such a laboratory appointment or a surgery day schedule
- Informing parents about the healing process such as physiotherapy exercises, wound care information and medication use
- Providing parents with frequently asked questions and contact details
- Following the recovery with the help of a pain meter
- Collecting patient-reported outcome and experience measures (PROMs and PREMs)
While the patients and parents follow up on the automated care pathway, care personnel can see an overview of the patients' progress in one glance. The platform collects all in-app questionnaires and patients data automatically for the care team. The platform allows parents hospital communication during the entire perioperative care process.
Read here a short customer story on how Helsinki University Hospital's New Children's Hospital has used the BuddyCare platform to digitize pediatric cardiology care pathways.